David and Kim Strickland are the fourth generation in the Strickland Family to own and operate The Chassahowitzka Hotel. The Hotel was originally started by David’s great-grandparents Ben and Eliza Smith and acquired its name in 1910. The family operated the Hotel from 1910 to 1969 when the family closed the business. From 1969 to 1990 the building sat vacant until it was purchased by a couple from Lakeland, FL. In 2000 David and Kim had the opportunity to purchase the Hotel back into the family name.
The “Old Hotel” as it was called returned to the Strickland Family. In 2001 the facility was completely remodeled, taking it down to the original pine and cypress. Re-engineered with all new amenities and set up to accommodate corporate groups as well as individual nightly stays.